Saturday, September 1, 2012

Michael can always make room for french fries

You can find a few things at most convenience stores and random to-go food stands.

I had very low expectations for German food and I'm not a huge fan of hot dogs and sausages. However, I was pleasantly surprised by even their cheapest versions. There's a higher standard - or something. All of the sausages I tried had a pucker on the skin, which made them better than our standard at home.

With that, we ordered a "hot dog" and this is what we got! Apparently Germans break the sausage in half and stuff it into the bun so it's more like a sandwich/burger, but we obviously didn't do that. The bread is dry, but that's what the mustard is for.
Another pleasant surprise were the french fries. Maybe it was just the stand we went to, but the french fries were chunky and crispy. I think Germans prefer their fries with mayo, but we got the ketchup/mayo combo. We loved that they were served in a cone and we could eat them on the go!
However, I was not so impressed by the curry wurst. We were sucked into the tourist trap. Curry wurst is more famous in Berlin, but we had to try it! The sausage still has a nice pucker, but the taste was more like the American hot dog. The sauce is ketchup with "curry powder." It tasted like a hot dog with ketchup... that you eat with toothpicks. Better than if I had made it at home, but still not my fave.

No comments:

Post a Comment